Find all the information you need for your Port Credit BIA
Welcome to Port Credit’s Vibrant Business Community
By choosing the Village of Port Credit as your business location you have located in a Business Improvement Area (BIA).
Toggle the questions below to learn more about membership or click here to learn more about the Port Credit BIA.
This information has been compiled to acquaint you with the Port Credit Business Assocation and our successful, diverse business community. We value having your business in Port Credit and we want you to get the most out of your membership with the Port Credit BIA and we hope you will become an active and interested member.
Toggle the questions below to find out more about membership or click here to learn more about the Port Credit BIA
Your membership fee is shown on your property tax bill and is calculated as a Commercial Assessment * BIA rate = membership fee. The City of Mississauga remits the fees collected to the BIA which then spends them as they were budgeted. All property owners in the BIA area as well as business tenants are automatically members of the BIA and are entitled to participate in the affairs of the BIA.
- Reading your BIA mail and emails.
- Informing your staff and customers about the activities and events happening in the BIA.
- Simply talking to your business neighbours – there is a wealth of experience, insight and creativity within our own business community.
- Attending meetings – Business Development Breakfast, June Summer Kick-off and Media Party held at the Lighthouse, occasional After Hours held in local restaurants keep you up to date on what’s happening in the community.
- RSVP’ing when requested. This helps utilize our funds appropriately.
- Keeping your business information up to date by notifying the office with any changes.
- If you are a property owner with tenants, provide us with contact information.
When you think about what the BIA does for your business, also keep in mind that your participation is critical to maximize the benefits of your membership. Read, share and participate. Consider joining a committee. This organization is made up by YOU. We work best together to create a healthy, vibrant, dynamic business community.
The Port Credit BIA mandate is specified by municipal law to undertake two responsibilities:
- To improve, Beautify and maintain public lands within the BIA beyond that which is provided by the city, and
- To promote Port Credit as business community
Since 1977, the BIA has evolved, taking on numerous projects and activities to benefit our membership.
Promotions and Marketing:
- Advertisements and marketing efforts with local media and guidebooks
- Supporting specialty publications such as The Port Credit Village Times
- Sanctioning an annual business directory
- Seasonal multi-media campaigns
- The Port Credit Buzz – a weekly email news update to the community promoting member events and activities
- Our whole business community benefits from the events – programming in Port Credit Memorial Park and throughout the village. The BIA is a proud sponsor of the Mississauga Marathon, the Mississauga Waterfront Festival, the Port Credit in Water Boat Show and Southside Shuffle Blues and Jazz Festival
- We organize seasonal, member-based events such as Buskerfest, Farmer’s Market, window decorating contests and sales events
- We partner with other groups to create events including the Port Credit Outdoor Art Show in July
- A corporate website www.portcredit.com providing you and the world with a window to our business community
- Email updates on issues and programming concerning you and your business
- Quarterly newsletters delivered by mail
- Monthly networking opportunities (Business Development Breakfast) held the third Thursday of each month at the Crooked Cue
- Orientation packages for newcomers to the BIA
- Annual and special general meetings to share with you programs that we execute on your behalf
What does the BIA office do?
- Carrying out all projects and programming set by the Board
- Addressing the concerns of, and issues facing our membership. We are the front line of the information sharing between you; the members, the Board and other community stakeholders
- Organizing, facilitating and contributing to BIA committee meetings
- Managing and administering the BIA financial affairs, bookkeeping, accounting repots and annual reports
- Updating the BIA property owners and tenants database
- Providing timely member communications through email announcements, special mailings and membership newsletters
- Responding to requests for information from the membership, the local community, the media and other local organizations
- Cooperating with our community partners to promote and enhance the business community including the Municipal, Regional and Provincial government offices, Mississauga Board of Trade, Mississauga and Toronto West Tourism
- Creating partnerships to enhance the BIA including Visual Arts Mississauga and Mississauga Arts Council
- Working with and offering resources to Mississauga Waterfront Festival, Southside Shuffle Blues and Jazz Festival and Port Credit in Water Boat Show
- Organizing BIA events including Canada Days’ “Paint the Town Red” celebration, Port Credit Outdoor Art Show, and Port Credit Buskerfest.
- Hosting networking opportunities including the monthly Business Development Breakfast
- Promotion through all media including the monthly Business Development Breakfast
- Promotion through all media including print, radio, television and internet vehicles
- Overseeing suppliers and contractors
- Advocating on behalf of our membership to present concerns to the Municipality in the areas including parkng, urban design, City policies, etc.
The board meeting minutes are posted in this repository each month. The current archive dates back to January 2012.
View board meeting minutes
The Port Credit BIA has a number of policies and guidelines in place. These documents are all kept together here for the public and all members.
All other resources and material that is not part of board meetings, notices and policies will be available under this resources section.
2018 Board Meeting Minutes
Archived Board Meeting Minutes
Application for Road Occupancy Permit – Special Events, Parades, Walkathons, Marathons
Associate Member Policy
City of Mississauga Event Banner Policy
Conflict of Interest Guidelines
PCBIA Strategic Planning Document
Board of Management Policy
Port Credit BIA Event Overhead Banner Policy
Social Media Policy
Elections and Committee Policy
Click Here to see the 2017 RIO on BIAs Study
2018 Farmers Market Application
Farmers Market vendor forms must be completed and sent directly to Beatrice.
Safety and security are of paramount importance to both business owners and residents alike. We all want a safe, clean and secure Port Credit. To that end, Peel Regional Police have provided some very informative resource documents.